Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Destination Chiangmai Thailand - The Journey begins ..

22nd Dec 08. After having several consultation and considerations, the family decided to head for Samut Songkhran which is about 700 Km. Reason being is that this place has the Floating market. I guess the 700km+ push was ok to them.








The journey started Ok and the open highway is not bad. You can't really speed as you have to watch out for traffics merging out from left, making U turn at the right lane and cutting into the highway from the right. Bottom line is, be careful. Drive safely. Speed is not the issue here but watch out for the vehicles merging from left/right etc.

Look at the Freeway .. ain't it good ? Certain stretch are really smooth as silk and some are just horrible. But generally they are OK ( free ma ).



Once you are familiarised with the driving style in Thailand, things begin to happen. There is a phrase " Familiarity Breeds Contempt". How true. Just a bout 2 hours away from Hatyai, I was doing >120+km constant and stays at the right lane most of the time.



The result was, I was stop by the traffic police for Speeding + Hogging at the right lane.

This is a tough situation. I do not speak thai, the cop does not speak english and I did what the laws says is wrong.

I tried explaining to the cop that this is my first time driving in thailand and I really do not have any clue as to the speed limit. I am not sure what happen but he say, ok.. and explain that the RIGHT LANE ONLY FOR OVER TAKING. Stay on the left after over taking. So Guys take note of this. The default travelling lane is left. Right is for Overtaking only. The cop relented and let me go. I felt good... and say thank you to him...

Not long after that .... "Famila.......breeds ...Cont.."" I was doing 140-150 km again ...

to be continue ...

No comments: