Sunday, December 28, 2008

Destination Chiangmai Thailand - The 1st Trouble

It was around 7 pm local time and we are about close to our planned stop over at Phetchaburi. Saw a Shell Petrol station and make a pit stop for petrol + coffee+ refreshments + easing ourselves. Fuel gauge showing I still have around 35 litres of fuel. Told the station attendant to load in V POWER !!( I was told to load the best fuel ) . He obliged accordingly and after 9 litres went into the tank, he pointed out to me that he is loading in DIESEL !!!!. OOOH SHIT!!!!. Immediately told him to stop and without getting angry or panic I found out that in Thailand, V POWER IS only available for Diesel. Guess it was my mistake for being so uninformed!!!.



Being Thai, the station owner is a nice guy. I explained to him what had happened and after crossed check with his guy, he understood the problem. He immediately asked his people to push the 807. Make sign language to me to take the steering. Without starting the engine. The steering feels damn heavy to maneuver. We parked the 807 at a ramp ( similar to the one which is like tyre alignment shop - access from below ).


First the owner tried using compressed air pumping into the fuel tank and using another hose to channel the fuel out into a container.







This method could not hose out all the contaminated fuel. Check at the gauge I still have 20 + litres in the tank. Make a call to my Penang Mech ( Ah Hwa - OEM Engineering ). Told him my situation and he told me to drain the fuel out from the tank. Also he said if there is some leftovers, the engine should be able to cope . I thank him and we proceeded to remove the fuel from the fuel tank. It was quite easy. 1 X screw ( input hose and 1 x noose clip that holds the input hose and the tank is all it takes to drain all the fuel out.
We use a jack to tilt the 807 to oneside to drain all fuel out. Then just fix the hose clip and mounting.














In the mist of draining, I could not help to take this photo of an Elephant that is being transported on a truck.







Once the fuel is drained out, same thing in reverse, the 807 is pushed to the pump and loaded with Ron 95 ( that is what is available ).



Time to go and I thank the station owner ( no extra charge - though it was my mistake - Thai people are actually nice and friendly ).

Heads to our planned stop and check into a hotel. I need to take a good bath - my t-shirt and pant is semi-wet with diesel. One thing about diesel is that it will remain wet and oily and leaves a long lasting stain and toxicating scent.


Meantime, my navigator is looking at tomorrow's route - Floating market.

4 comments:

DINOFINO said...

Aiyooo!!! what a disaster man.huhuhuhu luckly everything solve.good luck with your adventure brother.. :-)

rodium_plated_pipe said...

Well DINIFINO, Yes it was a disaster ( sort of ) and it caused a delay of about 1 hour but I hope this will help others in their future adventure into thailand... GO V Power go!!!...

Anonymous said...

OMG, what a mess....luckily you found out before you started the car!

timothy

rodium_plated_pipe said...

well .. good thing that the pump attendant is honest about it. Guess it proves that generally thais are nice people.

sa wa dee kha...